Multi Stakeholder Planning for Year Round Health Insurance Consumer Support
On December 12, 2014, the Connecticut Health Foundation (CT Health), as a neutral convener, held a meeting of stakeholders to begin a process to plan an effective, sustainable year round approach for assisting consumers with health insurance enrollment and navigation. CT Health convened the meeting on the heels of advocacy for in-person consumer assistance earlier in 2014, as well as a pending federal funding opportunity that has been pursued by Access Health CT with the understanding that the CT Department of Social Services might have the opportunity to lead the renewal of such funding in the future. Anticipating significant limitations on funding relative to the breadth of consumer needs, this stakeholder process was set in motion to discuss shared priorities.
Because many partners understand different aspects of the need for consumer support, CT Health put out a call for both written and in-person public input to inform the conversation. Over a dozen responses were received.
Outcomes of this professionally facilitated meeting were (Please see full meeting summary for details):
- A shared understanding of the potential opportunity for year-round enrollment and navigation assistance for underserved consumers in Connecticut
- A prioritized list of the functions that such a system should include
- Agreement on the demographic populations that would receive the greatest benefit from enrollment and navigation assistance
The meeting was a productive step forward that held and fostered a collaborative spirit. As the state awaits learning if federal funding for year round consumer support will be awarded for 2015, the ball is now in the court of Access Health CT, the Department of Social Services and the Office of the Health Care Advocate to reconvene stakeholders when it is time to take the next step.
Additional Meeting References and Resources:
- Meeting Agenda
- Participant List
- Public Input Summary
- In-Depth Interviews Summary Slides
- Consumer Assistance Functions and Tasks Menu