1. Is your organization eligible? To be eligible, an organization must meet one of the following criteria:
- Has IRS 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status
- Is a state or municipal public agency
- Is a public entity, such as a health department, university, or social service program
- Is a coalition, advocacy group or collaborative with a responsible fiscal agent that has 501(c)(3) status
2. Is your project on the list of things we do not fund? While we fund a range of projects, there are some things we do not fund. Those include:
- Grants to individuals
- Direct services
- Clinical laboratory research
- Capital projects, endowments, or chairs associated with universities or medical schools
- Projects that do not benefit Connecticut residents
- Legislative lobbying efforts or political campaigns
- Health care coverage and access
- Delivery system and payment reform
- Integration of community and clinical care
- Health equity advocacy and diverse leadership
- Response to a request for proposals (RFP)
4. Is it focused on advancing health equity? Explain how your project aligns with our definition of health equity – which focuses on racial and ethnic minorities and people from underserved communities. (Learn more about our definition of health equity)
5. Is it systems change? Explain how your project will help to transform the health care system or policies that impact people of color in Connecticut. (For examples of what we mean by systems change, click here.)
6. Is it realistic? Explain how you plan to measure your impact and success, what your timeline is, and how feasible the project is.
7. Is it sustainable? Explain what you expect to happen after the grant is done. Is your work something that can be sustained after the grant, and if so, how will that happen?
8. Does your organization reflect a commitment to diversity? The Connecticut Health Foundation is committed to serving communities of color, and it is important that the organizations we work with also reflect the communities we aim to serve. Does your organization have an explicit commitment to diversity? Is it reflected in the makeup of your staff and board?
Interested in applying or have a question? If you have a health equity-related project and are interested in applying for a grant, or have a question about our grants process, please call our program department at 860-724-1580 or email them at email@example.com.